Thursday, June 25, 2009

Our home on the mission field

If you're anything like me, you want to know how people live. I love decorating and knowing people's tastes, so I am one of those people that goes into someone's home and wonders what is behind every door! Well, just in case you're like me, I'll gladly show you exactly what our house looks like. It is pretty "raw" right now, as it is still being built. For the time being, we are living in the VanSant's home. They are a missionary couple that is currently in America on furlough. They return to their home the second week in August, and we will begin living in our own home at that time. Will it be done in time? Well, I sure do hope so!

Just this last week, we had our well dug.... 52 meters deep (57 yards.... more than half a football field deep)! The well man said he has been digging wells for 30 years and has never seen water gush out of a well like it began gushing out of ours. God is blessing us in so many tremendous ways! We have lived for nearly seven years with "come and go" water, so I am thrilled at the thought of always having water!

Here are some quickie details about our house for those of you who may be wondering. Our house sits on about 1/3 of an acre. The house was originally to be nearly 1,600 square feet, but our builder convinced us to put an extra room up in the attic area. Since the project was already started, it took quite some time for us to figure out where to put the stairs. My guess would be that the house is now going to be nearly 2,000 square foot. It will be four bedrooms, 2 baths, with the smallest room being used as a school room since we homeschool.

There is still lots to be done, so please pray earnestly for us. I will keep you updated with the progress. Here are pictures that were taken just last week:

Our home - front view, with "well" workers busily working

Our home - back view

(That is styrofoam being put on the outside of the brick for insulation.)

Our home - front view of roof insulation and brick work

3 comments:

  1. I know you are very exicted about your home! I just got back to Texas from Guatemala. Lauren and Rhyan have done a good job in finding a place to live and getting things set up. She will be starting language school, soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jolene, could you email me? We are adopting from your town/city and I'd love more info on Simferopol. Also, my husband and I would love to find out more about area churches that we can visit while we are there. lydia@strongsignals.net

    Thanks,
    Lydia
    Ps we are hoping to be traveling by August to pick up our daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, my husband had such a wonderful time there with you folk. He has talked non-stop about it! He showed me a picture of your new home. It is very nice. It is wonderful about the well with the abundant water supply. I know you will be so happy to get settled into your new home. You have such a sweet family! Thank you for having Lonnie there. It's also good to be able to communicate through blogging. Hopefully we will be able to meet in person sometime. Blessings, Gail Moore

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your encouraging comments! "As cold waters to a thirsty soul, so is good news from a far country." Proverbs 25:25