Friday, March 12, 2010

Baby orphanage "Yolochka" - medical aspect

Many of the children in this orphanage have down's syndrome or other medical issues. Fortunately, the orphanage is staffed with a medical team, and the orphanage itself is basically a children's hospital. In this post you will see the medical-related pictures I took. Keep in mind, though, that I only saw a portion of the orphanage and that these pictures are not all-inclusive.
The room shown below is a physical exercise room:
The room you see below is for daily massages for the children. Ukrainians place high priority on massaging their children, even the healthy ones.
Ukrainians also place very high priority on fresh air. Most parents take their children out on walks, rain-snow-or-shine, twice a day... one hour in the morning and one hour in the evening. The room shown below is an "acclamation room." It has windows that are open all around, and they take the babies here to "acclamate" them to the outdoor air before actually taking them outside.
Everyone, including visitors, must wear a white robe before entering the children's ward. Here I am with a nurse, posing just before my tour:
And, here I am with some nurses and the director of the entire orphanage, the man seated to the far right:
If the Lord lays it on your heart to pray for this orphanage, pray for this man: Alexander Krupuna. As far as I understand, all decisions go through him, including adoptions. In a sense, the fate of these children lay, in a large part, in his hands.
The king's heart is in the hand of the LORD, as the rivers of water: he turneth it whithersoever he will. Proverbs 21:1

2 comments:

  1. Jolene,
    I've loved reading your blog and seeing your ministry. It makes me so excited to get to the mission field! Hopefully we'll conquer french (or least halfway understand!) very soon. I love the pictures of the orphanage and my heart goes out to all of the children. I will be praying for the director and the decisions he makes.
    Thanks for the encouraging, but reminding me to pray posts,
    Kami Gimenez

    ReplyDelete
  2. love reading about this.. i love your pictures too!! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your encouraging comments! "As cold waters to a thirsty soul, so is good news from a far country." Proverbs 25:25