Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Where Hubby Grew Up

I am delighted to tell you that we are third-generation missionaries. It is an honor to carry that title, and I do not take the heritage that has been passed down through my husband's family lightly.
On Christmas morning, I sat in a church building in Texas with 25 members of the original Sloan family (some last names have changed through marriage). Since we all serve on the mission field, none of us has a home of our own in the states. For this reason, we were all gathered in a church building, sleeping old-fashioned Baptist style - on cots, in sleeping bags, on air mattresses, and some even on church pews - just to be together for the holidays!

As we sat together during devotions, Tommy (hubby's oldest brother) raised the question, "I wonder where we would all be if Popsy had never been saved and gone to the mission field?"

"Popsy" and "Mimi" Ashcraft, as they were lovingly called, were the first generation of missionaries in our family, called to the field of Mexico.
Then, the Ashcraft's daughter, Billie, followed the Lord, along with her husband to various parts of Mexico as well. My father-in-law passed away six years ago, but this dear couple along with their eight children has called Chiapas, Mexico home since the early '80s.
Since we were recently in Chiapas, Mexico, visiting home, I took pictures of the property where my husband grew up to share with you. Even though this was not my first trip to hubby's childhood home, it was still fascinating to me to be there and realize all that has been done for the cause of Christ on this property.

The Sloan's home as well as their church and Bible institute are all located on one property. My mother-in-law still lives in this home and the church continues under the pastorate of her son Philip Sloan since the homegoing of his father.

Enjoy these pictures!

The house where hubby grew up

Small yard to the side of the house. David's mother dreams of putting playground equipment for her grandchildren here one day. With 28 grandchildren and 3 on the way, that wouldn't be a bad investment!
Front of the Sloan home
Storage shed in the backyard
Home and church within the same property
Church that David's father started, which is now pastored by Philip
Church entrance from the outside street
Church and wall around the Sloan's home

Street outside of the property, with mountains in the background
Looking down the opposite side of the street, with more mountains in the background
Unfortunately, when I went to the other side of the house to take pictures, I was distracted by my children playing with their cousins and never finished photographing the rest of the property. You can see in the background of the two picture below some of the staff housing and nursery area. The dormitory and classroom are not pictured at all, but are located to the left of this building, behind the church.

There is an outdoor baptistry right next to where the girls are playing
With faces as cute as these, wouldn't you have been distracted too?!

5 comments:

  1. That was so neat to see. I love to see surroundings of the missionary friends that we pray for and see what is "normal" for them. Thank you for giving us this insight. So proud to be friends of such a wonderful godly family!! ~H. Juarez

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting. Good to see.
    PB

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jolene!

    I too am a third generation, not missionary, but in the ministry. It is an awesome thing to be a part of. My Papaw (Bill Jackson) was a missionary to Mexico also. He was good friends with the Sloans. I also remember as a girl that the Ashcrafts and Sloans were "the missionaries of the time". They were the names I saw in all the churches I went to. Just thought you might enjoy hearing about that. :)

    I guess you are getting close to delivery! I am anxious to hear about it!

    By the way, I am freezing down here! I'm sure you are laughing right now! It is so breezy and we have been in the low 70's! At night I am bundled up and can't stay warm. Right now I am wearing socks with my sandals. :) I think I would die if I were in your place! :) Canada about killed me. LOL

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have gotten distracted too...they're too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post and the pictures brought tears to my eyes, and joy to my heart. Our home in San Cristobal is still as beautiful as it was when I was a little girl. Thanks for posting these! And, yes, what distractingly sweet children were around you! Love you, Ruthie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your encouraging comments! "As cold waters to a thirsty soul, so is good news from a far country." Proverbs 25:25