Tuesday, February 19, 2013

A precious Jewish family

These pictures just came in from Israel {where hubby currently is}, and I wanted to share them here.  The first time I ever went to Israel (December 2007) was specifically by request from my pastor to meet this family.  David and I are the same ages as this couple, and three of our four children line up exactly in ages too (they have another son not pictured).  
My childhood pastor, Dr. Vineyard (pictured on the left in the picture below) met this precious lady during a war in Israel.  Bombs were being sent over to Israel from Lebanon, and he was staying in a hotel where she was working at the front desk.  She was understandably afraid, and God used him to calm her young mama heart by reminding her that God was in control and on her side.  She loves Dr. Vineyard now like a father.
David and I have stayed in this family's home on a couple of occasions, and we consider ourselves blessed for how they have accepted us.

If you scroll back up to the first photo and sneak a peek of their daughter in purple, you will catch a glimpse of a special pouring of God's grace.  About five years ago, this dear mama was heavily considering having an abortion.  It was an unexpected pregnancy, finances were tight, problems were escalating, etc... I called her from Ukraine and begged her to keep the baby, reminding her that God was the One who placed this new life in her womb, and He would provide for the needs of another little one.  She thanked me over and over for reminding her and promised she would not go through with it.  A few months later we heard the happy news that her wee one was born and healthy!  When she was one year old, I was able to hold that precious girl and thank the Lord for the small part that maybe I was able to have in her little life.  It may or may not have been our telephone conversation that made the difference, but I find joy in the fact that it just could have been.

{Below} Picture of this couple's daughter when she was one year old.  I just couldn't keep my eyes off of her big, beautiful, brown eyes!
A true sign of friendship is sharing your hearts over a good cup of hot tea or coffee.  One of the sweet memories David and I have from this home is being introduced by this couple to delicious Moroccan tea, that they call "Louiza" {lemon verbena in English}. Several times we watched them clip the leaves right off of the plant growing in their backyard and enjoyed a steamy, hot cup of tea sweetened with raw sugar minutes later.  The flavor is better than anything you can ever get out of a tea bag, I guarantee you!    

When I think of Jewish families, I always think of this family first.  They were my first Jewish friends and will always hold a very special place in my heart. 

10 comments:

  1. I remember them - a very nice family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful testimony! Praise the Lord for how He has worked in this family's life! Praise the Lord for you taking the time to call her in her time of doubt and need!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwww how very precious. Praise the Lord(: <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! What an amazing story! Blessed my heart! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a sweet story. I, too, love the beautiful brown eyes with long lashes, remind me of some other special children I know from the UK!
    Love to you

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful family! Now, others have been blessed by hearing their story and sharing an experience. All too often we hear only American media's complaints about Israel's 'heavy-handed' response to attacks. May we never forget and always pray for their nation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Lord has really bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a very sweet family. It's a blessing I'm sure to have friends all around the world.
    Loved seeing Bro. Vinyard, it's been so long. He looks good!
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This post was a blessing to me,too. It's just taken me awhile to get around to commenting. :)
    I hope you and your family are doing well. I think of you often.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your encouraging comments! "As cold waters to a thirsty soul, so is good news from a far country." Proverbs 25:25